Love is in the air!
Valentine Day is just around the corner, and no I’m not making any plans for the “big day” to go out or anything, I just needed another excuse to do what I love! – Bake and share my recipes on this blog to those who may want to whip up something quick in the kitchen for their loved one 🙂 After days of sorting out various recipes and coming down to the last three, I chose to make Almond Dutch Macaroons first (considering we are all almond fans at home). These little delights are probably the most simple biscuits I have ever made. I’ll consider them healthy as well, as the recipe does not call for any butter or oil. Surprisingly easy and delicious, these macaroons are best served with coffee or ice cream. I decided to form them in heart shapes considering the occasion.
2 egg whites
225 gms caster sugar
175 gms ground almonds
2-3 drops almond essence
1. Cover two baking trays with baking paper. Use a good one as these macaroons may stick after being baked. Preheat the oven to 180 degree Celcius.
2. Whisk the egg whites in a large mixing bowl and gently fold in the sugar and ground almonds.Add 2-3 drops of almond essence and mix the batter.
3. Place batter in a large piping bag and pipe the biscuits in the desired shape.
4. Bake in a preheated oven, for 20-25 mins or till golden brown.
5. Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool.
Its as simple as that and ready in minutes. You can also dip these biscuits in chocolate.