Off late I have been following Gordon Ramsay’s Ultimate Cooking Course (thanks to my mentor who I mentioned earlier). He was someone who mastered the art of making home made burgers and I must say inspired me in a certain way. Most of us choose the cheat’s way of either getting them from the store ready made or from the burger stop around the corner. Making patties at home seems like a long cut but definitely worth a shot atleast once. Gordon Ramsay’s Ultimate Cooking Course is the ultimate course to get from a master chef like him. He not only shares recipes that are so amazingly easy but also gives his best kitchen tips and secrets. I have been following the series that airs on a local tv channel and I am impressed! I’ve already got a list of what I want to cook for the following week, and before my parents arrive from their vacation, the kitchen is all mine!
First up, sliders! Mini burgers that look petite but are full of flavor. Great for party starters or a picnic out. Originally made on the show with pork meat, I decided to make my version with chicken mince. Stunningly delicious and simple to make with local ingredients.Even the bbq sauce is home made ( something to certainly boast about )
For the BBQ Sauce
Olive Oil for frying
1 onion finely chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
Salt and black pepper for seasoning
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tsp vinegar
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
3-4 tablespoons tomato sauce
For the patties:
Oil for frying
2 small onions finely chopped
200 gms boneless chicken, cut into tiny bits
250 gms minced chicken
1 tsp smoked paprika
1. Begin with the preparation of the BBQ sauce. Heat oil in a saucepan, and add finely chopped onions. Season with salt and pepper according to your liking. Add brown sugar and keep stirring till onions are soft and caramelized. Add paprika and continue to stir. Cook for a further 8-10 minutes stirring and letting the onions caramelize. Add vinegar at this stage. Then add Worcestershire sauce and tomato sauce. Stir the mixture till it begins to stick off the edge of the pan. Cook for another 5 minutes on low heat. Turn off the heat and keep aside in a bowl.
2. Begin the patty mixture. Heat oil in another pan, and fry onions after oil has heated. Sprinkle paprika and mix well. Cook for another 5 minutes and add chicken bits ( note, this is not the mince). Fry till onions and chicken are crisp and cooked. Add salt for seasoning. Fry well till cooked and take off from heat. Place mixture onto a plate with kitchen napkins. This will help drain the excess oil and fat and make the mixture dry.
3. To the chicken mince, add the fried onions and chicken bits mixture. stir well and form small balls. Flatten with your fingers gently into patties.
4. Fry patties in hot oil. Turn on both sides and fry until cooked and crisp.
5. Use small burger buns to serve the sliders. Add a light layer of mayo if you like, then the prepared bbq sauce. Place patty and top with fresh slice of tomato and ice berg lettuce.
6. Or just get creative and make your burger your way. 🙂
Until the next recipe from this ultimate course.
Happy weekend and tc